Friday, March 12, 2010

Photography and Guest Blog by Bob Miller (plusbob.com)

There are certain tasks in any profession that make you think long and hard about the nature of what you do. As a photographer, walking among strangers and peering into their lives for a few short moments may be among the most challenging. So when I was asked to join CARE for AIDS for one week to document the lives of people living with AIDS in Kenya, I knew a familiar helplessness would set in. It's a good helplessness though - one that is based on a knowledge of photography's shortcomings, and the fact that photographs are ultimately only glimpses into a person's full story.

I joined Justin and the CARE for AIDS staff Sunday of this week, and the last four days have been full of photographing, interviewing, and generally documenting the lives of the Kenyans who have participated in the CARE for AIDS program. Some of the individuals I've documented have endured great suffering. Some have even been bedridden on the edge of death. Yet somehow they have reclaimed life on Earth and hope for life eternal with God, and from a bedridden, emaciated state, these people have found hope not only to continue living, but to start businesses, build their families, and fight the stigma associated with their disease.

In situations like these it's important to remember we cannot truly know the life of another unless we make it our own. We will never fully know what it's like to fight the stigma associated with AIDS or build a business in an environment of destitute poverty until we ourselves have faced the same challenges. My hope is that these images might bring us a little closer to their reality and that by peering into the lives of others we might get a sense of what it's like to live in their shoes.

These few images will give a sense of the stories we've been witnessing here in Kenya. To see and hear their complete stories, keep an eye out on the CARE for AIDS website in the coming months (www.careforaids.org).

1 comment:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete